*Extract from ‘Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project. Research by Pamela Priestland.*
‘There has been a church in Radcliffe since at least the thirteenth century, but the existing building bears little relation to its medieval predecessor. Neglect in the eighteenth century caused the ‘spire steeple’ to be left in a precarious condition and eventually it fell in 1792. The repaired church then had a reduced battlemented tower at the west end.
In 1858 money was raised to provide a new chancel in the Early English style designed by Charles Bailey of Newark.
As the population of the village increased, more radical changes came. The chancel of 1858 was retained, but the rest of the church was rebuilt and enlarged in 1879 to the designs of Goddard and Paget of Leicester.
It is this building which, with slight adjustments, stands in the centre of the village today. Its tall tower crowned with an unusual saddleback roof provides an unmistakable landmark in the area. Only one memorial – a brass from 1626 – pre-dates the nineteenth century.’
Full history at the Southwell and Nottingham Church History Project.
St Mary’s some time between 1800 and 1844.
This painting (artist unknown) is on loan to the church by Radcliffe on Trent Local History Society.
View from the Vicarage garden between 1858 and 1877.
A similar view from the Vicarage in 2007 just before the new hall is built
The design for the rebuilt church.
…… and as actually built.
…. and for news about St Mary’s Church today see www.stmarysradcliffe.org